Summary: Website visitors prefer and like chunked content. What they don’t like, is a wall of text, which can turn them off. Chunking enables visitors to easily and quickly skim and scan.
Question: Do you think most people will read all your content?
Answer: Nope! What they will do, is skim it.
Online readers have very short attention spans. Skimming and scanning are the new reading style.
Highly effective websites structure their writing for skimming and scanning.
6 Top Methods You Can Use To Chunk Your Text Content:
- Reduce paragraph size and separate them with sufficient white space.
- Shorten your lines of text (approximately 50–75 characters).
- Group related items together and make them visually obvious. (bullets, numbers, etc.)
- Headings and subheadings that are distinctly different than the rest of the text.
- Differentiate keywords (italic, bold, etc.)
- Bulleted and/or numbered lists.
Chunking is essential for displaying content that website visitors can easily scan, skim, understand, and remember.